Friday, February 8, 2008

What Have I Done?



I admit, I love to hold my baby! Who doesn't, right? And as I have said before, Ryan loves to be held. Sometimes I hold him while he is sleeping because it is fun and he is cute and it is easier than putting him down. Two days ago I was a little sick, so I just rested and held my baby. Then the next day, he souldn't let me put him down AT ALL! He would fall asleep, I would try to put him down and his eyes would pop open... over and over. Lucily he sleeps fine at night after 11 pm. He is actually sleeping in his bed right now, so maybe it was just a bad day yesterday, but I have noticed this to be the case more often than not. I know that I probably did this to myself, but now I want to fix it before it is too late! So, I am reaching out to you experienced mothers - any tips?


6 comments:

Jill said...

This is a tough one. Here are a few ideas--put him in a sling or baby carrier and get stuff done around the house. Or is there another seat that he likes (bouncer, swing, etc?) I remember kate was the same way. A lot of times we'd go for walks and she'd fall asleep in the stroller or carrier and some days I'd just give in and sit and hold her and watch tv or read... but I know sometimes you have to get things done! Oh and a lot of times when she'd fall asleep in the stroller I would just leave her in there for a while when we got home and she'd stay asleep. Hope that helps! He's a cutie!

Forsythe said...

I know it is hard, but he needs come tough love. He is old enough and smart enough to know that when he cries you are going to pick him up. Easier dais than done you need to let him cry. At least this is what we did with Blake. They have to learn to calm themselves down and put themselves to sleep. If you are always holding them and rocking them, they will never learn. Just get a good set of headphones. Good Luck!

Calli said...

Let me tell you what happens when you hold your child all the time, even while sleeping...you have a 13 month old who you still have to hold to get to sleep and you still play the "lay him down ever so softly so he won't wake up" game. We did the same thing and now we are paying dearly for it. I didn't realize what my need to hold my darling baby all the time was doing to him. Oh, well. We'll do better with the next one...we will have a newborn that goes to sleep by itself and a 2 1/2 yr old that we still have to snuggle to sleep...ah, parenthood.

Claire said...

I should just say ditto to the comment above mine! If you learn anything from me Lisa, don't do what I did with anna. I know it is so tempting to hold him while he sleeps but don't give in. We are still paying the price royally 2 years later.

Summer said...

Have you read the book 'Babywise'? It was a godsend for me! Some people think it is too structured, but everyone I know that has followed it has kids that sleep like champs and put themselves to sleep. It seriously is the best thing I ever did. Davis started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks as has ever since-and to put him to sleep for night or naps, I just lay him down and shut the door and he goes to sleep on his own. It is the best!

Mary Kelly said...

One thing that really helped Morgen was a SwaddleMe blanket. It is a blanket that keeps babies swaddled up and it helped Morgen feel snuggle and safe. The first month we struggled with him sleeping in his crib- then we bought on the the swaddle blankets and the problem was solved. Plus, it helped keep him warm at night.