Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mother of Three:Day Two

Day Two started out crazy, got a little better and then ended crazy.  The morning consisted of lots of crying. Mostly from a very very two year old ( can that be an adjective?) and of course the newborn.  Jace was pretty fussy this morning, which quickly put all things on hold as I nursed him and rocked him.  I had plans to go to the library with the kids to get new books, but after yesterday’s Target episode, I decided that would not be happening.  I was sitting on the bed helping Jace, watching Luke throw every book from our book basket out on the floor and listening to the sounds of Ryan entertaining himself by coloring and I started feeling guilty.  I was felt like I just was only doing a mediocre job of taking care of the kids… each of them were slightly neglected as I tried to take care of all three.  I started praying for help and strength to be able to do a better job. Just then, Ryan walked in with a drawing for me.  “It’s a gold medal”, he said. “ Because you are such a good mom.” Talk about an answered prayer.  Then it was my turn to start crying.  It is always funny to try to tell a 4 year old how happy they just made you as you are balling your eyes out.  I told him how grateful I was for that medal because I wasn’t feeling like such a great mom and he made me feel like I was doing OK.  It really will be one of my most cherished treasures and special memories. 

My Gold Medal



Things went better for the next few hours.  We all enjoyed just taking it easy at home and I tried to not let myself feel discouraged and just keep going.  I know it will get better and I just have to “muscle through” these next few weeks.  Jace woke up from his nap happy and smiling and content.  The best he has been so far.  It was really a treat.



After naps, we went to grammy and grandpas to swim and Jace slept the whole time.  I was able to play with the boys outside a bit while my mom stayed in with Jace.  It was refreshing to spend some outside time with them. And mom made us dinner, which I am so grateful for. Although, the afternoon was not without it’s episodes.  Luke had quite a few tantrums of course.  Ryan bit his tongue really hard.  It started bleeding… he doesn't do well with blood.  He freaked out, started crying and spitting and then threw up.  I gave him a Popsicle and that cured it.  Then, after dinner, I told Ry to wash his face off.  He did just that… with soap.  Then he licked the soap off and threw up again.  He had a rough evening.

Bed time was just a crazy, but I was able to do it without Brett’s help this time (he would have helped but was still at work).  The hardest part about bedtime with a newborn is figuring out who gets your attention.  As I was putting Luke to bed, Jace was crying his little head off.  Luke wanted to “nuggle”, but it was so hard to relax while listening to your newborn scream.  I quickly put Luke in his crib and he began to cry “ I want momma”.  Man, just rip my heart out. I ended up holding Jace while holding Luke’s hand.  It seemed to work for everyone.  Luckly the  i-phone kept Ryan happy during all of this.  I will get the hang of this… eventually

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

It took me a good 3 or 4 months to get the hang of three. It will get easier! I will admit though...I don't feel adjusted to 4 yet and Brynley is 7 months old. I honestly feel like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time (and it's usually because of the 2 year old :)) Gotta love em.

Crystal said...

Okay Lisa, you're really starting to get me good and scared to have more kids :) No, I'm sure it will bring me some comfort to know that even people that I really look up to can have a hard time. Hang in there.

Claire said...

I don't think it is healthy for me to read these posts right now. My anxiety levels are growing as my countdown begins!