Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mother of Three Day One

I have decided to document my transition from two to three children. Someday I am sure I will look back on these days with fondness.  As for now I am just telling myself that it will get better.  And hopefully, it will!


It is not really day one... more like day 20, but Brett started traveling for work again today so I was really on my own. Luckily, this day Brett just had to go to Irvine, but wasn't going to be home until after 8pm.  I was nervous.  I did not know how I was going to do it.  The day started well.  The kids got up and followed out new "morning routine".  We got Ry off to preschool and then Luke, Jace and I spent the morning with some friends at the park.  I accomplished my two house goals for the day - vacuuming and folding the laundry.  The rest of the house isn't doing so hot, but I was proud of myself for accomplishing those two things.  I even got a nap during Luke's nap!


Then we went to Target.  I could probably just stop right there and most of you mothers of 3+ could fill in the blanks. It started out well.  I bribed the boys with Slurpee and they lasted most of the time we were shopping.  We grabbed the last item on the list and the high-tailed it over to the checkout so we could make it out of there before Jace woke up and needed to be fed.  But, as luck would have it, he started wailing in line and it took forever to check out.  I was distracted by crying Jace and trying to pay for my goods so I didn't notice my two  older kids making a 10 foot ( literally) trail of cereal boxes and candy bars through the clothing section.  It wasn't until I say a Target employee looking around for the irresponsible mother of the two crazies, did I notice.  I then had to confess that they were mine and clean up their mess while holding a screaming Jace.  Thank goodness for kind strangers who watched over my cart and helped us clean up and get out to the car.  I almost started crying as they loaded my van up with our bags. " Been there, done that" they said.  They understood.


We came home, ate dinner and then I made cookies with the two older boys.  We all love cookie dough adndI thought it would be a nice treat... until Luke dumped a cup of salt in the nearly finished batter.  I got just a little frustrated... enough that I made Luke cry.  Poor kid.  I felt so bad.  I then remembered that it was just cookie dough - dumped that salt out and saved the bottom half and scooped Luke up into a big "I'm sorry hug".    I ate most of the cookie dough after the boys were in bed.  I needed it.
Then was bed time.  Or chaos time.  Between 7-8 is when Jace cries the most and that is right when my boys need to get to bed. And that is also when I took something outside and broke my pinky toe.  There was blood and everything, but I didn't have time to stop. 8:00 was creeping up... the boys should have been in bed, but I had to nurse Jace.  So, the two older boys were running around like crazy... Luke had just spilled water everywhere and was crying .. and then Brett came home.  Relief! I was so grateful he could take over and get those boys to bed! It was quite a day.

Looking a little hammered at the end of the day, but still so grateful for my sweet boys.



4 comments:

Alyosha said...

Whoa, you did WAY too much on your first day alone with three kids. You're making the rest of us look bad. Take it easy there, Tiger.

Lynsi said...

i loved reading this, sounds all too familiar! Yes there are lots of crazy days, and yes cookie dough does help! You're amazing, it gets easier I promise!

Crystal said...

And I used to be scared to go out with just one. . .

Sunnie said...

Oh Lisa! I love reading things like this because it makes you realize you are not alone in this crazy life! I have lived countless days like that! Good news is that everyday is a new crazy day! Hang in there- I would like to say that life gets easier... :) Maybe it does when they are all in school... Or college:)