Sunday, July 20, 2008
The Boob Tube
Brett and I decided to get rid of our cable and DVR (sad)! It is so funny how attached you get to the TV. When we were first married, we didn't have TV and it didn't even phase us. But ironically, when we moved to NYC, we started watching it more. It was just nice to come in an veg after being out in the crazy city. We also got hooked on DVR there as well. That is a great invention! However, the visiting authority at our stake conference talked about how media is one of the ways in which we allow negative influences into our homes without really realizing it. I will be the first to admit that I did justify a few of the shows that I enjoyed watching... So, combined with that and the opportunity to save a little money, we made the big cut. When I called to cancel the lady asked why I wanted to cancel and I said, " because we don't want to watch tv anymore." She seemed taken back by this and responded, " is there any other reason?" uh... what more can I say? Anyway, it has been hard not to get my daily fix of Gilmore Girls and all the other silly shows I watched, but I have been enjoying the fact the it seem like we have a lot more time on our hands. We are looking forward to finding new ways to fill our time so if anyone has any recommendations, let us know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Congrats! We just use rabbit ears on our TV and only get a few channels. I agree with you that it is nice to sit and veg once in awhile. But rent movies for that. As for ideas go on walks, start a garden, or start a new craft. I am sure you will think of something.
Not that this would intrest Brett but Lisa you may enjoy...I made a bunch of cards with my mom the other day and became a huge fan...although I have not done it since then because I have been too busy watching TV :) More power to ya and maybe one day we will give up the TV but I refuse to budge on the DVR :)...good luck! miss you guys!
Wow!! That's huge!! You guys must have a ton of willpower. I rarely watch TV except for cooking shows, but I don't think I could ever get Steve to give it up. Way to go!!
I miss it too Lisa, but it is getting easier every day. As for things to do, come over and play the wii with us! Thanks again for watching Brooke -
That must have been difficult to get rid of your cable and DVR...I think I'd go insane without Sportscenter!!!...lol. This is Nick Walker...you know one of your twin cousins. By the way I noticed that Doug and I were not on your Friends and Family links...what's up with that???...lol, no worries hope life is treating you guys great.
good for you! you seriously wont even miss it after awhile. after the last 3 year of having nothing we now have basic cable as it came as a bundle with our phone and internet service.
what the crap! this can't be good! (ps, what will you do without Gilmore Girls, or 30 Rock, or 24!!!)
Lisa! Good for you! Does this mean no more Grey's? That is probably the worst show I watch! I have loved summer because we never watch tv. We're thinking of canceling our cable too. Oh and I know you do this anyway, but as a suggestion of what else to do...read!
I can totally relate--I havnt watched tv in over a year and when people try to sell me cable they are so suprised that I don't watch tv...like "wow..what do you do" Games are a fun filler..I find my life is so busy rasing two kids that there is NO time anyway...gave it up when I went back to school and I feel smarter for it (school AND not watching TV)
P.S. I know ou have NO idea who I am but I have known the Andersen's for a VERY long time..good people!! Love them all!
Laura Francis
Post a Comment