Friday, May 9, 2008

Before I Knew

This time last year, I was 12 weeks pregnant. I dreamed about this mothers day when I would, in fact, be a mother. I was excited, but I was nervous: nervous I would be bored or not have much to do or that it wouldn't be as meaningful as teaching school. Those are horrible thoughts, I know, but they were real. Now that I am a mother, I realized that I had those thoughts before I really knew what being a mother was about.

It was before I knew:


the sparkle in Ryan's eyes when he smiles,


what it feels like to hold MY sleeping baby in my arms


the feel of his little hand in mine,


the sound of his laughter,


how happy he would be when I got him out of his crib each morning,


how cute it is when he reaches for me,


the desire I would feel to protect him and to keep him happy,


the joy that comes with each and every new milestone he reaches,


the huge responsibility it is to help him become a righteous, kind and good person,

and the deep and indescribable love that I feel for him.

Now that I know, being a mother is the only thing that I would want to be doing at this moment! I am so grateful and lucky to be Ryan's mommy and to see him grow each and every day!


8 comments:

Calli said...

Amen. I can't believe this is my second mother's day with Max. It flies by so keep cherishing every small moment.

Lynley said...

He is SO cute!!! He'll be able to get away with a lot when he's older!

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

You are such a wonderful mother, Lisa and I am so glad to have you as an example of womanhood and motherhood!

Sunnie said...

i love those blue eyes! he is so cute! i hope i can see him this summer when we come and visit in july. will you be around?

Forsythe said...

Happy Mother's Day. Being a mom is the best!

Brittney Paul said...

Darling post, Lisa! Ever since you had us over, I've had in the back of my mind, your comment about how you're always thinking up new posts for your blog and their titles, so I've been trying to do better and be a good blogger like you! haha, you're my inspiration! We need to get together soon! Maybe next week?

Bryan and Shelly Barney said...

Lisa--

I can't get over how amazing Ryans eyes are. He has the most beautiful eyes. Grandma and Grandpa were over the other day and were showing everyone Ryans pictures and saying how cute, smart and amazing baby he is.

Alyosha said...

It's weird how wonderful it is, isn't it?