This experience has to be up there with some of my most embarrassing moments... for all you male readers, you may want to stop right here... As there are only 10 days left... WOW... I am trying to get all the things on my little list done. One was to buy a nursing bra. Here in NYC, it is not as easy as running to your nearest maternity store or Target. The closest place with nursing bras is a place called "The Upper Breastside". I laugh every time I say it. I thought that I could go in there and just pick out a few bras and leave. But no. They put you in this very open and communal dressing room. They gave me some water and some chocolate and then said "OK - take off your shirt!" This was a problem for me for 2 reasons : 1. The garment issue 2. I am one of the most modest people ever! So, they lady and I went back and forth about whether or not I could just leave my undershirt on for a few minutes. Everyone was staring at us, or so I felt. I finally explained to her why I would like to keep my shirt on and she said - "Oh, that's OK". She just didn't get it. Finally after much deliberation, I gave in and it all came off... I was standing there - in the nude. Those were the longest few minutes of my life as the lady measured and gave me things to try on. Finally they were over and I left with 3 bras and some nursing accessories... I think that imposing on people's modesty must be one of their sales tactics because I just wanted to get out of there and would have probably bought whatever they had put in my hands...
11 comments:
Lis,
I have just spent my morning reading all your entries and loving it! I love the nursing bra story, yeah pregnancy is some good times! Seriously you are SO CUTE!!!! Just so you know, I am only 15 weeks prego and am your same size, I'm not kidding! You are tiny and I am well, yeah pretty big for 15 weeks! I guess with it being number four my body just says oh I know exactly what to do, done this before. (everything nice and stetched out!)
So fun to be able to keep in touch through blog! So glad all is well! Tell Brett hello~!
No way!!! I would have been totally mortified. It sounded like you handled it well though. You do need a good nursing bra and I am glad you got that checked off your list. Hang in there girl, I am so excited for you and Brett.
Ha- That's hilarious. I hate to tell you though--it's only the beginning of being exposed. Just wait until childbirth and then learning to breastfeed. At least then it will be doctors and nurses :). I made Paul go into that store once... he still hasn't forgiven me. Just FYI-they have great nursing bras at destination maternity on 57th and Madison I think. I like the MIMI maternity ones... and they don't make you undress in front of them :)You are looking great by the way!
Oh Lisa, I totally remember doing that but my lady didn't make me get naked! I am sorry that must have felt awful! Welcome to the world of having your breasts used for other things than well...what they HAVE been used for!
Hillarious! Although I am sorry you had to go through that experience.
do you know that this is my third kid and i have never once bough a nursing bra? i think i'm dumb. it would probably make things a lot easier. instead i just buy one that clips in the front. anyways, the name of that store is hilarious! and sorry about the topless adventure. it's just getting you ready for childbirth where modesty is a thing of the past. you just become very comfortable with people seeing things you never would want them to see. good luck if the baby comes soon! i keep hoping to check the blog and see that he is here!
That is the funniest thing I ever heard!! Who does that!! WEIRD!! I would not have been able to do it, so I applaud you!! We are stoked for baby Andersen to get here!!!
Lisa...HILARIOUS!! What a crack up. I feel your pain, I would have been mortified! Maybe you should just pass on to me your recommendations so I don't have to do the same thing :) I keep thinking about you and your bambino on the way. SO EXCITED for you!
lisa... that story is hilarious... now you'll be prepared for the immodesty ahead!! how exciting!! our baby boy is 3 1/2 months and motherhood is just sooo fun!! i'm so excited for you guys!
OH lisa this only the begining of the disintagration of your modesty. By the time the baby comes... it will all be gone!!! Castor oil sounding tempting???!!
Oh Lisa!!! I just had the picture of you standing there while three Shakespearian Macbeth-esque witches come around you chanting "Double double toil and trouble, take off your shirt, don't burst our bubble!" Oh, you poor thing! That is hilarious! I am sooooo sorry. I can't wait for this baby to come! It will make it all worth it
Post a Comment