Thursday, January 22, 2009

Politics

I was able to watch the inauguration on Tuesday. It was pretty historical. I did not vote for Obama, but I have been truly impressed with his character and the man he seems to be. I am grateful that he has inspired our nation.
But, what I am confused and perturbed by is the fact that THE day that he was sworn in people were rejoicing about the "new" America, claiming that they felt hope for the first time, they seemed to be more willing to listen, to help and to put aside differences.
Nothing in our country has changed : the economy is still bad, there is still a war, and many other challenges still face us. But, our attitudes have changed. That is not the part that bothers me. The part that bothers me is that it all seems dependant upon Obama. HE will change the nation, HE will make things better.
But, what if HE makes a mistake or if things don't turn out the way he planned or if change is slow to come? Will all of this optimism and hope die, just because Obama doesn't fulfill every one's dreams? It seem to me it will - unless - America realizes that it is not Obama who will change America - it is US! No matter what the circumstances or who holds the office of president, America can be and should be a great place to live because WE make it that way.
I hope that things go well for this president, but what I hope most of all is that Americans will begin to take responsibility for themselves and focus on doing their part and not expect someone else to make life better for them.

7 comments:

Claire said...

AMEN!! I couldn't agree with you more. Although I am grateful for his ability to bring the nation together, I think he will help the people torealize it is us that needs to change. I think he kind of said that in his inaguration speech. I miss you!

Forsythe said...

Very well said. Take resposibility!

Shelley Nicole said...

Absolutely sister!

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

I completely agree. I am always so saddened by the fact people want to Blame their problems on others, want other people to Solve their problems and take no responsibility for their own actions. Let's be realistic for a minute and take control of our own future!

Zach and Linds said...

I agree 100%!

aubrey said...

hey lisa, its aubrey... found u on misty's page... u and your fam are so cute, and the cooking looks so yummy! hope u r going well!

Kimberly Larson said...

Yeah, I heard he was promising full gas tanks! Mine is empty. Where do I take my car to cash in on the Obama octane?