Thursday, November 4, 2010

PLAYdough

Ryan had a friend over the other day.  It was rainy, so I had them play with some new playdough I had just bought.  10 colors.  Brand new. 
They started with two colors.  I gave them instructions to just put the colors together softly so they won't stick together. 
But for some reason both of the couldn't handle it and sqashed the playdough together. 
I was freaking out inside my head. 
 If you squash them, then they won't be their own color... we won't have 10 colors, we will have one. 
But then I saw how much fun they were having. 
So I just let go and let them go at it.
I was the one making things hard.
It was a good lesson.


 A colorful Playdough pancake

Just FYI - a fun inside idea that I got from " 101 things to do with your kids" is to roll up foil into balls and throw it into something.  I had the boys roll the foil, too.  It kept them entertained for 30 minutes! 
 That is a long time for a little boy!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah - my boy has NEVER played with the colors individually. He squishes them together on purpose. He's artsy like that.

In my world playdoh colors go in separate containers too, then like you I realized that I bought it for the kid. I have to check myself often in that regard.

Mary Kelly said...

I would freak out if the playdough mixed colors too- one at a time please!!! And I love the idea of throwing foil balls. My boys would be entertained for hours with that one. Thanks for the idea :)

Quinn Family said...

what a great mom...I totally hate playdough, for that reason and the mess it leaves after. I am such a bad mom that after a day and a half of playing, I gave the playdough Dayton got for her birthday to her cousin. She was all for it since she loves her cousin so much, but still...I know I am awful.

Boyd said...

I can't believe how big Ryan is getting, he's looking more "big kid" every time i look at your blog!