As Brett and I were discussing our Christmas tree this year he said, " Maybe we should get a fake tree." I agreed, but felt a huge pit in my stomach. " Wait... It just feels wrong, " I said. I love the idea of no mess and saving money - eventually - but then we will be robbing our children of the EXPERIENCE. My dad was big on trees. Real ones. He trained us well about the value of a real Christmas tree. We drove to Home Depot where we were going to look at the fake trees. We stopped at the tree lot out front first where we spotted the perfect tree. And it was real. It just felt right.
I remind myself of that as I vacuum up the needles every day!
I like to call our tree a "memory tree". When I was young, my dad started giving us ornaments that represented something about the past year for each of us. When I got married, he gave all of the ornaments to us and passed the baton to Brett who has carried on the tradition wonderfully.
The ballerina is from my ballerina days. Some of you may be scratching your head as to how I had ballerina days. Trust me - they didn't last long! The plane was given to me in college with the note " home is never far away".
In about 3rd grade I went through a major " save the earth phase". This ornament helps me remember that!
Brett gave this to me the year we moved back to CA with a note that said " Welcome Home!"
Our tree is a reminder or life and love. I can't wait to give these same gifts to our two boys!
Merry Christmas!
9 comments:
oh Lisa, I'm with you on this one. We're still on the real tree side, but the fake one is looking better and better...
way to stay strong...I am all about the real trees too. Like we don't need to vacuum everyday any way.
Your boys are getting so big! I love the pictures.
We have converted to the pre lit fake tree. I think the best part is not have to deal with lights every year. We also do the same ornament tradition. Makes decorating the tree every year a walk down memory lane.
you are cute, my friend! i love you. and love the bangs, too.
What an awesome tradition! Okay HOTTIE! you are looking so amazing with that hair cut!
I love it! Adam and I still have our little tree from New York. I keep telling myself that one day we will have a place big enough for an actual Christmas Tree! PS, You look gorgeous!
That's a great tradition. We do something like that but we get an ornament from every where we travel to so our tree is full of reminders of places we've been. It's fun because every year when we get them all out it is like reliving all all the fun places we've been too.
PS. can I get your address? thanks
I agree, we've gone back and forth about whether or not to get a fake tree, but we love the real thing!
Post a Comment