Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

When I flew to Denver last month, I saw an army guy ( for lack of what else to call him) staring in my direction. I noticed that he was actually staring at Ryan - staring at him like he was thinking about his little boy at home. Then I saw the army guys' friend - other army guy - sit next to him. He was young and wore a wedding ring. Then third army guy joined them an they all smiled at Ryan.
I started thinking about how much they were missing at home. How much their wives and children must miss them. How much I couldn't bear to have Brett be gone from Ryan and I for a year or more. And how much their hearts must miss their families. I thought that I should tell them thanks for their sacrifice, but I felt dumb.
I saw them again as we passed through security. I thought about their sacrifice again and couldn't hold back my feelings any more. So, I walked right up to them and said " I don't know how to say this... but thanks... for all you do." And then I started balling. Right in front of them.
The big army guy said" Hey, why you crying... stop crying... you are making me all sensitive..."
They others guys just said you are welcome and looked at me like I was a freak.
I just couldn't help it. The reality of what they give up to protect our country hit me like a ton of bricks. So I cried, and I felt stupid, but I am really grateful for those army guys who leave their families to help keep my family safe.

Thanks army guys past and present!
( that includes navy, air force, and all other forces!)

7 comments:

Wendy said...

i love this story. you are awesome lisa. i never have the guts to say what i want- or know how to say it...

Joy said...

are you sure you are not pregnant?, because that crying sure sounds fishy!!

Tyler and Kelly White said...

I just started crying at your story! you are so nice!

Lynsi said...

Lis, you made me cry too! How great you went and expressed your gratitude... I'm sure that meant so much to them!

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

Just reading this made me cry...
Such a great post.

Millicent said...

I'm so touched you would say something. You're a wonderful person Mrs. Anfersen. :) xoxo

S&F Seminario said...

Lisa. You are so great. SO glad to know you.